Slideshow

Art Prints

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Part 2 Etching Copper

I am going to share the second part of the etching process with you, I use make-do tools, nothing fancy in my studio.Please wear good chemical resistant gloves and goggles when you work with this, and make sure you have good ventilation, I do it outdoors.
This it is in the etching solution and ready to go to the neutralizer,  the baking soda. 
After I neutralize the copper it is gross looking! See the brackish green color? The copper is starting to show after a little scrubbing with a scrubby sponge. This is hard to get clean, and messy, I do all my etching outside because of the mess and the fumes.
After I scrub the piece as well as I can, I bring it to my work bench and finish removing the ink and buff it to a nice shine. I use #0000 steel wool, you can also use very fine sand paper.
You may find the finished cross here at my handmade Artist shop

Acid Etched Cross

I hope you decide to give this a try, this is a simplified version, just the basics, but many people have Tutorials out there, or do what I like to do and research how to's.
Thanks so much for reading my blog!God Bless ya!
Nancy





2 comments:

  1. It turned out beautimus....Blessings, Nancy...♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nancy that is beautiful! Some day I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete